Thursday, February 23, 2006

All Jacked Up and Nowhere to Roll


After the disappointing Torin, I did what I should have done 25 years ago. I bought a real service jack. I sent a few emails to local jobbers but none of them answered. I ordered an OTC 1525 from All Tire Supply. OTC makes good tools. Many of them are still made in Owatonna MN. The jack effortlessly lifts the bomb up several feet. On to the next problem.

The bomb must roll. I took advantage of a break in the endless rain a few nights back to try out those HF dollies. I used the BMW to drag the bomb out of the garage. Put it up in the air with the jack and set it down on the HF dollies. I hooked up the winch and started cranking. The winch turned effortlessly. Much to my surprise the bomb was gliding into the garage. It worked. Then the dollies reached the tiny lip in the cement where the driveway meets the garage. The bomb stopped. I cranked. And C R A N K E D. The bomb inched forward. There was a loud crash. I had pulled the bomb off of the dollies. Nothing broke that wasn't already beyond saving. If it ever stops raining I'll pour cement to smooth out the driveway. Until then, we are going nowhere.

A friend told me reading this was like watching an exercise video. Yup. Here I am on my back peddling Jack La Lanne's imaginary bicycle. No matter how hard I pedal, I'm going nowhere and accomplishing nothing.



Anyone know what used to go here?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home